Friday 26 May 2006

The Paddington Bear

For those who are not in the know, my job involves a fair bit of travelling and I have become a heavy user of the English railway system.


So far, I've been on trains out of Euston, Kings' Cross/St Pancras, Waterloo and Paddington. (only London Bridge, Liverpool Street, Charring Cross, Cannon Street and Victoria to go! hahaha)

London Paddington Station
London Paddington Station

And these days, I'm going to the Paddington train station heaps and naturally, I have come across the infamous Paddington Bear. There is even a bronze statue of Paddington on the concourse!

Statue of the Paddington Bear
Statue of the Paddington Bear

I've seen the bear many many times. I know him by his duffle cost, the battered hat and occasionally, the wellington boats. However, I don't know the story behind the bear. I didn't even know there is a story behind it all. So I decided to do some research and write a little about this figure.

Paddington Bear is a fictional character in a set of books written by Michael Bond (illustrated by Peggy Fortnum). According to the official website, the Brown family first saw Paddington when they were at the station to pick up their daughter. They spotted "a bear sitting all alone on a suitcase, behind a pile of mail bags, close to the lost property office. There is a note attached to his coat which reads 'Please look after this bear. Thank you.' He has arrived as a stowaway coming from 'deepest, darkest Peru', sent by his Aunt Lucy. He tells them that his Peruvian name is "hard to pronounce", so the Browns decide to call him Paddington. Paddington is then invited to stay with the Brown's at 32 Windsor Gardens near Portobello Road (Notting Hill) and the stories unfold as Paddington explore his life in England."

So, there you go. There is a story behind the bear. It's a little like Winnie-the-Poh is some way. But instead of setting the story in a forest, Paddington is about life in London.

Now, I really want to see whether there is a 32 Windsor Garden in Notting Hill!!

Paddington Bear Store
More merchandise!

No comments: