Tuesday 17 June 2008

Chicken water

Have anyone else experience this: You try to stir fry chicken. You have only added oil and the chicken, but the frying pan is filled with water and the stir fry becomes kinda like a stew.

I knew that it is a common practice for the food industry to pump water into their meat. But the amount of water that came out of my organic chicken was just unacceptable. I have paid so much for the chicken and I got so much water with it ('organic' water, I hope!)

So I did some research and found that in some meat products, up to 40% of the meat's weight can be water. I may very well be the person who pays 40% more for my meat.

More interestingly, I found that the industry has, up to late 2003, use beef or pork protein to bind-in the water to chicken meat. So what if my religion forbids me to eat beef or pork??? Some corporations just have no morals at all.

1 comment:

reenie said...

Make chicken soup instead of stir-fry... Then you'll never know how much water came from the chicken *grin*