Sunday 9 April 2006

Dragon Boat Racing

I went dragon boat racing yesterday with my department's social club. It was the first time I'm involved in watersports, as I can't swim (I can float, but am not fit enough to swim more than 20m. hahaha). The secretary assured me that there will be lifejackets, so I decided to give it a go. I came to UK to experience the world, so why not?

The race took place at the Docklands Sailing and Watersports Centre. The turn-out rate was rather low, but the weather was perfect for rowing and it turned out quite well.

Dragon boat team
The teams, listening carefully to the instructors

We were put into three teams of 7-8 and two teams race at one time. Our team got to rest for the first match, which co-incide with the creation of the tab at the bar.

Naturally, with some influence of alcohol, we were all hyped-up for our first race and we won the match rather easily. We were so tired though.

The winner from the first race happens to be our next competitor so we convinced the instructors to hold the finals straight away. Lazy us!

The most important thing with dragon boat racing is that the team must be well-coordinated. We didn't have enough people to have a drummer, but luckily, one of my team member has a really loud voice (which could be heard from the bar more than 250m away) and we were able to keep the rhythm.

We won the match quite easily again. It wasn't even a close match. We all rowed really hard and our boat was so fast. I didn't realise that dragon boat could be that fast! Now I'm living the consequence as my whole body is so sore.

The Finish
The finishing line. The competitor's boat is not even in the photo!

O, did I also mention that one of my team member is the coach of the British rowing team?  :P

Champions
The Champions

We had a great barbeque after the races. There were seafood, steaks, really yummy mushrooms etc.. and continuous flow of alcohol. The bar is pretty good and there were lots of choices. We didn't get trashed though, as we still have to go to work today. I'm sure the chance will come. hehe


More information:

The Docklands Sailing and Watersports Centre
http://www.dswc.org/

No comments: