Friday 13 April 2007

Istanbul Trip, April 2007 - Testi kebap (Kebab in a clay pot)

We tried a new type of kebab during this trip: The "Testi Kabab" is an Anatolian speciality. Pieces of lamb or chicken is cooked in a sauce with onion, mushroom, bell peppers and other spices. The ingredients are cooked in individual sealed clay pot. When it is ready to be served, it is knocked open with a heated machete at the table.




The waiter insisted that I should knock open the pot. So here I was, almost sending pieces of broken clay to the people on the next table.

Apparently, in the more rural areas, restaurants would compete with each other by laying all their broken pots outside as a sign of good business.

Verdict? We had our Testi Kebab in a touristy restaurant, and as expected, the taste wasn't that great. I guess it partly has to do with the fact that I don't like chicken breast meat and bell peppers. I would definitely want to try it again when I visit Central Anatolia.

No comments: