Thursday 10 May 2007

Mischa Maisky in action

The Cadogan Hall

I've been in London for a year now. To me, one of the main attractions of London is its world-class classical music scene. Top musicians always visit London! (as opposed to Sydney)

During my time here, I am always on the look out for concert which I want to attend. I wanted to see a cello programme. But everyone is playing the Shostakovich Cello Concerto these days, which I just won't pay to watch live. Plus, I've already got Rostropovich's version on DVD. The music was written for him! So it's unlikely anyone can top that!

Anyway, I finally found a cello programme that appealed to me last month:
Alexander Polianichko, conductor
Mischa Maisky, cello
English Chamber Orchestra


Tchaikovsky Serenade for String Orchestra
Tchaikovsky Variations on a Rococo Theme
Tchaikovsky Andante Cantabile for cello
Tchaikovsky Suite No. 4, Mozartiana


The venue, Cadogen Hall, is not so well known. The hall was formally a church. It was purchased by Cadogan Estates Ltd in 2000. Cagoden Estates, in turn, is owned by the Earl Cadogan, whose ancestors have been the main landowners in Chelsea since the 19th Century. The current Earl, Charles Gerald John Cadogan, is listed as the 243th richest person in the world on the 2007 Forbe Billionaire List. He owns much of Sloane Street, which lines the exclusive district Knightsbridge, Belgravia, and Chelsea. In the most exclusive residential area of the street, some of the residences have remained as whole houses. And the properties in the area have sold for in excess of £2,500 per square foot on long leases earlier this year!

Back to the concert, Mischa Maisky is one of the top cellist in the world. He won the 6th Prize at the Moscow International Tchaikovsky Competition in 1966, so I was really looking forward to hearing this all-Tchaikovsky programme. Again, Rostropovich, being the President of the Organising Committee of the International Tchaikovsky Competition, has made the definite record on Tchaikovsky's Variations on a Rococo Theme. Nevertheless, Maisky, who has studied under the maestro and Piatigorsky, is a well-respected cellists and it is rare to hear the Andante Cantabile live, so I jumped at the opportunity!

Maisky entered the stage after the first piece, and he dedicated his music to his teacher, Rostropovich, which I think was very heart-warming.

Maisky with his cello. Look at the length of the end-pin! His suit was also very interesting.

Maisky played a wonderful interpretation of the Variations on a Rococo Theme. His technique was almost perfect and the tone was very warm and full. He had lots of fun going up and down the fingerboard. The Andante Cantabile was beautiful, even more so than I expected. Maisky was in control the whole time. It was mesmerising. Before I know it, his programme was over!

It is the first time of me hearing a Montagnana live. What an amazing instrument and player. The back of the Montagnana is amazing. I can see the grain all the way from the gallery. The English Chamber Orchestra also put up a wonderful performance. Although the hall is slightly too big for chamber music (it sits around 600 people), the music still carry through reasonable well.

On a side note, I also saw Julian Lloyd Webber, the cellist brother of Andrew Lloyd Webber. Here is a not-so-clear photographic evidence:
He was walking right behind me when we entered the hall. He attended the concert with an Oriental lady and left during the interval. It is a shame because he missed the Andante Cantabile, which was played so beautifully!

I now look forward to more concerts. Hopefully, I can find something nice at the Wigmore Hall in the near future!

1 comment:

SP said...

Its not me who took the photo, so do not blame me for the poor quality pic of Webber!