Friday 25 April 2008

South Africa trip, Apr 2008 - People you meet at the airport

I like to meet new people. Where's a better place to meet people than in the airport lounge? Everyone is bored, trapped in the lounge, waiting for their flights. Surely they don't mind a bit of conversation? :-P

So, as I was chatting away with one of my fellow passengers yesterday evening, he suddenly changed the topic and said, "Doesn't he look like Prince William?" I turned around and look towards the direction of where his finger is pointing. There is a young man sitting together with another 2 older looking men, but, no sign of Prince William. I thought, "am I really that boring that he has to change topic?"

Then, the young man turned around and I realise he is talking about Prince Harry! Well, we were in South Africa after all. He must be visiting his girlfriend, Chelsy, who is from the neighbouring Zimbabwe.

Another passenger joined in when she saw 3 staff gathered around the prince, "Is he really Prince Harry?" We then had a short gossip session about how Richard Branson must let Prince Harry to fly for free, whether Chelsy broke up with Harry etc... when we got bored with the topic, we continue to comment on the food, the airport and other random things.

At boarding time, I was thinking, "Hmmm... Where would a prince sit? I have got one of the best seat in the cabin (I was sitting towards the front, away from the toilets and away from the bar) Maybe I will be sleeping next to a prince for a night!!!"

I passed my boarding pass to the ground staff at the gate, then she suddenly flagged down her colleague, "Ms Kong, my colleague has something to pass on to you."

I saw the colleague holding a sticker on her hand. I thought, "@%$%@! They must want to switch my seat with Harry! I don't want to move!"

The colleague came around very quickly and passed me a luggage tag. Apparently, she didn't tag my luggage correctly during check-in, so she came all the way from the check-in desk to speak to me.

OK. That's very good service. But I guess you don't care, you just want to know, "where did the prince sit?"

I boarded the plane and as I walked towards my seat, my eyes were scanning the whole cabin for Harry-like object. No such thing found. So I thought he must be sitting in a special area designated for VIP.

Then, I started chatting with people sitting around me and I found out that Harry was sitting in what the other person called the "Premium cattle class" (aka premium economy class). It seems that the front of the plane was absolutely full and Richard Branson wasn't going to bump-off full-fee-paying customers for the prince! So we were all treated not 'like', but 'better' than royalty for one night!

Though it is sad to hear premium economy class being called premium cattle class. As I touched down at the airport this morning. I realise I am flying out to Amsterdam tonight, in "standard cattle class" :-(

No comments: