Sunday 29 July 2007

Ratatouille and our own adventure with French cuisine

SP and I watched Ratatouille yesterday night. We both enjoyed the movie and it has inspired us to cook a French meal.

As we studied our French cookbooks, Ratatouille (the dish) was ruled out because of its ingredients, namely the zucchini! We flipped through the pages and found a dish which appeals to both of us: honey duck!

We have tasted this dish in one of the small towns in Provence. It was very delicious. It was not sweet, but savory.

The recipe suggested not just any honey, but lavender honey!




Luckily, we've stocked up some great lavender honey on our last trip and the recipe was immediately approved and signed off.

Next, we went to the supermarket and shop for the other ingredients. We went to the poultry section first, the choice was a little limiting: skinless duck breast or duck legs. Both are free range and they both look great. But I picked the duck legs based on the fact that we (I) NEED (love) the skin.

The first thing we have to do is to make the stock, which eventually get reduced to the sauce. We didn't make the stock from scratch because we had steamed chicken the other night and we have saved up the 'chicken essence'. However, SP added too much salt to the steamed chicken and the chicken essence was way too salty. So, we ended up with 'authentic' salty French sauce!

We also have to brush a layer of honey on the duck and then grilled the duck until it is golden and the honey is caramelised. It smells so yummy! The duck is then placed in the oven to roast for 5 minutes. I can't wait!

And for those wondering whether I was working, of course I helped out in the kitchen!


Photographic evidence of me in the kitchen. I'm making the sauce here.


SP was the saucier's helper.


Pouring the sauce on the duck


The finished dish


Ready for dinner.


And the sommelier (SP) has made a great choice. It is a French wine with English label. But who cares! It was a great match for the duck.


The dish tasted very good! I stripped all the meat off the bone and am ready for some more. What's great about the French dish is that it wasn't that difficult to make.

It proves what Gusteau said: 'everyone can cook'!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

long time no "comment"... sorry guys... was busy @ work maaa... :P

GREAT!!! looks yum~~
SP u can cook for me when we in HK... haahaa... :D
JK are you sure u cooking the sauce??? kekekeke....

stop making me hungry~~~~

JK said...

YOU! Excuses, excuses, excuses.

I'm sure you are jsut busy with some thing other than work!

As for the meal, I am a key contributor to the success of the dish, thank you very much :P

Anonymous said...

I am a food critic... get your dish over here... btw, do you have too much time these days?

JK said...

Mister Anonymous (aka SZ), what makes you think that I have a lot of time? I am so far behind with my posts! Anyway, you need the fresh ingredients to make this dish.

Actually, where can I get duck leg or duck breasts in HK?