Saturday 28 July 2007

Will I make it as a modern girl guide?

I have never joined the girl guide. My brother was a boy scout, but my school didn't offer the girl guide curriculum. The uniform wasn't that pretty so there was no hard feelings anyway.

Girl guides to me was about life survival skills. The kind of skills that you need when you are stuck in the middle of nowhere and you only have a basic pack with three matches, two sticks and one piece of cloth.

But no, a modern girl guide demands skills which are much more practical in the everyday life, as shown by a UK survey:


I've scanned through the list. I can't even do certain things in the Age 7-10 category, namely swimming 100m! But there are certain things in the Age 16-25 catetory that I do well, such as assembling flat-pack furniture (now, that's crucial skill. Who hasn't bought IKEA furniture when they first moved out!) and planning a holiday (these days, I use my 'stand up to boys' skill and 'lead a team' skill to delegate this task! haha!)

I think it's time to re-evaluate my skillset! hahaha.

No comments: