Tuesday 9 October 2007

4x4 Experience

It's wet and rainy today and it's perfect for outdoor team celebration events.

So, here I was, driving for the very first time in the UK. And not just any driving, but serious 4x4 driving experience!


Team gathering up



Our first vehicle was a Defender and I did the sensible thing to opt out. It is the most difficult to maneuver and it is all manual. It's just not for me. I like my technologies.

When my turn came, I didn't start off well with the instructor though. It went something like this:

Instructor: So, have you done much offroading? [The normal ice-breaker]

JK: Er.. I haven't done much onroading and I haven't driven for a number of years.

Instructor: OK, let's take it easy then. Let's start the car. Put your foot on the brake.

JK: [Start car, as asked. Put foot on the accelerator.] Oops.. O. O. sorry.

The team members in my car couldn't stop laughing.

Instructor: OK. Go straight and follow the rut. You don't need to steer. Let the steering wheel direct you, like what you do after a turn during a driving test.

JK: ..... I haven't done a driving test. I don't have a license.

According to my team, the instructor's jaw dropped. My team thought it was very funny. Luckily, this is private property and I've asked upfront that this is OK. I am grateful that my team trust me enough not to jump out of the car at once :)

It worked out pretty well in the end and I had a go on the Discovery 3, Freelander and Range Rover (all top models from the range). I love the technology on the Discovery and I love the power on the Range Rover (v8!). The Range Rover was the easiest for me. The Freelander is not a great match. I found it very hard to control.

Here are some photos from the first half of the day :



Warming up on some gentle slope

At the 'quarry'


Taking a rest

The Discovery being rescued by the Defender from the very deep and muddy rut! That's not me! :P



The second half of the day was much more interesting. We were in 'safari' mode. But I was too busy, trying to learn from others, that I didn't take any pictures! Sorry!

No comments: