Wednesday 13 February 2008

Los Angelas, CA, USA

The trip to US in January '08 was a business trip. The objective of the trip was to integrate two of the best money transfer system in the world, so we can have one best system. Yes, you heard it right, we going to kick Western Union, Money Gram and REA's butt big time......for those who is reading this blog, its time for you to load up CSTR.

I wasn't expecting much personal time to travel around LA since I'll be hammered with meetings and questions. So I thought, I better get some sleep on the plane while I can. Luckily the AA passenger check-in officer was a lady and she has a really funny northern Italian ascent, nothing similar to Fab's from Bella Baita. I thought this is my only opportunity to chat her up and hopefully she will be upgrade me to business class. Well, to cut the story short, I think she is still head over heals with the previous passenger and I only manage to get a seat by the emergency exit.

It was my first time to the United States. I have heard a lot of horror stories about not to joke around at the customs. Well, if you know me long enough, I will not hesitate to open my mouth when given a chance. Luckily, the custom officer is a guy this time!

I think the customs officers at the LA airport must be on strike that day, it was the first time in my life I'm starting to appreciate the efficiency of Heathrow airport! Mr JB was waiting for me at the arrival hall. Poor guy, he must have waited for hours. As the Brits put it, he's nice chap.

During the trip I met a lot of good and friendly people in GPX which I will be working with closely with in the foreseeable future. Of course, I cannot name their names on this blog, but let them known as the Feather boys from ST! Sorry, cannot name their company, otherwise, it might affect their IPO later in the year.

Apart from working late (or to be exact, early in the morning) we had a very good time. Thanks to Mr JB, the feather boys and I, we've tasted some traditional Mexican food, true American style one pound burger, the original Peruvian food, not so traditional Japanese & Thai food, local oaky Pinot Noir, nice steaks but won't allow to serve bleu...sigh and drinking beers in American pubs. Apart from tasting different type of cuisines, I've managed to learn a pick-up word from the gang. I will definitely need to try it out and see if I get a kiss or a slap in the face!

In term of shopping. I was well informed by Ms JK where to get the stuff she wanted. That wasn't an easy task if it wasn't for Mr RD (To get from one place to another in LA, you really need to know where you are going on the spaghetti highway). Another nice chap, drove me around each day and I couldn't think of a way to repay him but to get him breakfast and extra diluted coffee each day from you know where. I wasn't stingy or anything but that was the most decent place to get coffee around the neighbourhood. I need to get triple shots to actually taste some coffee. Sigh.....

Above all, my biggest achievement while I was in LA was getting one of this.....


to serve and cook for my Ms JK with alot of yummy food! It will be my star helper when I cook her a 4 course meals, 3 Michelin stars quality dinner tomorrow!

No comments: