Friday 29 February 2008

Revisiting Le Champignon Sauvage in Cheltenham

I am staying in Gloucester these days so I took my opportunity to have dinner at Le Champignon Sauvage in Cheltenham one evening. My booking was for 8pm. I arrived in Chelthenham at just before 7pm so I took a walk around the high street. Sadly, most of the shops were closed and I was dragging my laptop and my files with me, so I went in at 7:25pm and asked them (nicely) to let me in!

There were a group of old men and ladies celebrating a birthday, a family with 2 teenagers (I asked myself, "will they appreciate the food"), two couples on a date and a table with a businessman and a businesswoman. Then there is me. I was dining alone so they were thoughtful enough to let me sit in a corner, looking out to the rest of the dining room and the street. I had a good time watching other diners :-)

The restaurant is famous for traditional French cooking. The ingredients are generally in season and mostly local. It does not serve very fancy food, but it's just simple food to fulfill the soul (and fill the stomach!). It happens that my soul need some serious fulfilling, so I made my orders very quickly.

Appetiser of sour cream mousse with green pea and vegie froth


The bacon and shallot bread topped with black sesame is just as good as last time!


Seared dived Shetland scallops with cauliflower puree and cumin froth


The scallops appear to be smaller than last time. But the taste is still good. There are shreds of apple to add some sweetness and texture to the dish.


Lamb with roasted caramelised onions and cepes. The lady informed me that the lamb will come in 'pink'. I told her that it can come in red, because I love raw meat. hehehe.. so it came out medium rare.


A close-up. The sauce is excellent. It has the perfect consistency and taste!


As I said, these are not very fancy food but the chef has done a great job in turning some excellent ingredients into some very very good dishes.

The restaurant has retained its two Michelin-starred status again in 2008 and I can definitely see why. I will be going back there in a couple of weeks. I hope they have changed their menu then. But if not, I will probably have the same thing again!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Webcam, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://webcam-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.